[olug] Boot external USB drive?

Daniel Linder dan at linder.org
Tue Dec 6 20:17:04 UTC 2005

Yes, that looks like what I might try.  I will probably try this over
the Holidays since I am taking a week of vacation then...

Dan

On Tue, December 6, 2005 13:12, Rob Townley wrote:

>> My Compaq Presario R3000 is really nice, but it doesn't support
booting

>> from USB devices (anyone know of unofficial BIOS patches to fix

>> this?)

>> I know I can install a copy of Linux to an external HDD
(/dev/sda), but

>> how can I setup Syslinux/Grub to "chain load" to the
boot sector

>> of the USB drive?

> This is not as clean as you would probably like because I can't
help

> you with GRUB.

> But _IF_ SysRescCD.org allows you to choose to boot from an
external

> USB drive as mentioned in a recent post, then installing
SysRescCD.org

> to your harddrive would be a workaround.

> Here are directions for installing to a harddrive:

> http://www.kumanov.com/OS/software/systemrescuecd/node48.html

- - - -

"Wait for that wisest of all counselors, time." -- Pericles

"I do not fear computers, I fear the lack of them." -- Isaac
Asimov

GPG fingerprint:6FFD DB94 7B96 0FD8 EADF  2EE0 B2B0 CC47 4FDE 9B68