[olug] SuSE 9.3 DVD issues

Eric Lusk wyrmzr72 at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 21 20:28:47 UTC 2005

When you run the mount command does it tell you the
device is busy, or does it say there's nothing to
mount?
If it says there's no DVD in the drive, it's probably
the dvd drive itself; you may want to find out who
made the drive and see if there's a firmware update
for it, if you're really brave.
If it says the device is busy it could be a problem
with the kernel, but still could also be the drive
itself reporting back incorrectly.

--- jachurchill at cox.net wrote:

> This may be a hardware question more so than Linux
> but here's my issue.
>
> I have Dell Dimension running SuSE 9.3 (it has a DVD
> ROM drive that came with
> the PC).  I also have a PC that I built from
> scratch, also running SuSE 9.3
> (that one has a Sony DVD/CD-RW drive).
>
> My Dell is very picky about mounting DVDs.  Some
> work, some don't.  I can't
> manually mount them.  At least the command doesn't
> work.  SuSE 9.3 doesn't
> mount DVDs to the /media/dvd directory as indicated
> in the fstab file, it
> mounts them in a different folder in the /media
> directory.  So if I put in
> Office Space, it mounts it to
> /media/OFFICESPACE_4X3.
>
> I have tried the DVDs that don't work in my Dell in
> my other PC and they all
> mount.  The custom built computer is a server and my
> Dell is my main PC.  I'd
> really rather not switch drives or PCs.  Can anyone
> think of any reason why
> this may be happening?
>
> The fstab files are the default in both installs and
> the DVD drive line is as
> follows for my Dell:
>
> /dev/dvd             /media/dvd           subfs

noauto,fs=cdfss,ro,procuid,nosuid,nodev,exec,iocharset=utf8
> 0 0
>
> and as follows for my custom built PC:
>
> /dev/cdrecorder      /media/cdrecorder    subfs

noauto,fs=cdfss,ro,procuid,nosuid,nodev,exec,iocharset=utf8
> 0 0
>
> No change other than the device reference.
>
> Any and all ideas will be helpfull other than switch
> driver or dell sucks
> becuase I'm aware of both these options already.
>
> Thanks.

http://www.ericshaus.com
Alcohol and Calculus don't mix.  Never drink and derive.