[olug] Web Accelerators

Mario Steele eumario at trilake.net
Wed Aug 17 15:41:07 UTC 2005

The reason "commercial" accelerator's won't impress you to much, is
cause gzip gives awful compression ratio's to Graphics.  And unless you
got a super-computer mainframe that can easily compress the data files
into LZMA, BZip2, or 7Zip format, your not going to get that much more
performance out of the system.  Ofcourse, the decoding time it takes for
LZMA, BZip2, and 7Zip to actually decompress the files for the end user,
takes quite a bit of time, especially for LZMA Format.

Proxy'ing incoming web-pages is always good, cause as being the central
Hop for your Customer, and the rest of the internet, it will inevitablly
cut down the number of hops your customer's computer has to go, to
actually retrive the data itself.  The more hops between your customer's
computer, and their intended website, the more time it will take for the
data to be transfered between the two places.  That is common internet
knowledge, or should be.  But then again, 75 percent of internet users
don't know every little detail about the internet.  Such a shame, such a
shame.