[olug] server install help

A-Wal A-Wal at cox.net
Sun Aug 7 17:00:20 UTC 2005

Nathan D. Rotschafer wrote:

> Some older machines have buggy ACPI implementations which might be
> related to your error.  You might be able to shut it off in the BIOS
> or I know there is parameter you can pass fedora core to shut off
> support for it I just don't remember off the top of my head.  Might
> be worth a shot since you mention ACPI issues...
>
> Nathan D. Rotschafer
> Home: (402) 778-NATE
> Cell: (402) 216-9270
> email: nrotschafer at geniussystems.net
> PGP Key: http://www.geniussystems.net/keys.htm

You're a genius!  I put the Suse Pro 9.2 install disk in, typed "Linux
acpi=off", and it installed just fine!  I knew it had to be something
simple like that, but I needed another brain to figure it out.  One
minor problem I did run into though is that the Suse partition program
couldn't make extended partitions on the disk.  I could only get it to
make primary partitions.  But, as long as it works, I don't care if I
have an extended partition or not.  It would have been nice to build
some encrypted file systems though.

Thanks