[olug] server install help

A-Wal A-Wal at cox.net
Sun Aug 7 04:53:01 UTC 2005

Hello,

    Well, I went to the Metro Community College auction, and got me one
of their old Compaq Proliant 6000 servers dirt cheap.  It's the dual
Pentium III Xeon 500mhz model with 1Gb of ram.  I've gone to the HP
website and read all their info on it, but it seems that they stopped
supporting it at RedHat 7.  I do in-fact own an old copy of RH 7.1, and
was able to install it just fine on the server.  However, as a student
at MCC, I can get a student discount license for RedHat Linux Enterprise
Server 4 for only $50.  I was thinking about getting a copy to play with
on my new server, however, all references to supported hardware under RH
ES never mention anything about the Proliant 6000 series.  Well, for
grins, I decided to see if I could install a newer version of Linux on
this thing.  I started by trying to install Fedora Core 4 on it.  Well,
it bombed out with a ton of kernel stuff before it could even load the
installer.  Then I tried Suse Pro 9.2, got into the installer, and
bombed after loading the driver for the scsi array addapter.  All I did
for RH 7 was a default install, and it worked perfectly.  I don't see
any reason why a 5+ year old version of RH can install without any
problems, and all these newer versions crash hard.  I'm a bit worried
that I'll have the same results with RH ES if I get it.  The driver Suse
tried to load is the exact same one that RH 7 installed by default when
it autodetected, but Suse hung hardcore after loading it.  Anyone have
any experience with this?  Any ideas why the newer ones won't work?

Thanks
Paul