[olug] Which open source help desk?

Dave Thacker dthacker9 at cox.net
Sat Apr 23 22:21:22 UTC 2005

On Saturday 23 April 2005 05:30, Neal Rauhauser wrote:
>   Which open source helpdesk software shall I use? FreeBSD 5.3 would be
> the best platform, SuSe 9.2 would be a close second. We'd have maybe
> half a dozen people to log in, dozens of customers,  time tracking would
> be nice, etc. Mostly I'm looking for something I can install in a few
> hours and then not have to jack with much after that ...

We're using RT from BestPractical.   It's open source, you pay (a lot) if you
want support.   We've been using it on SuSE 9.1 pro without any problems, but
we did install our own Apache, mod_perl, and MySQL after the OS install.  RT
is written in perl, so customization is possible, though not for the
faint-hearted.  There is an active mailing list and and wiki for
documentation.   This is a very robust tool, and I'm not sure it fits your
"install in a few hours and not have to jack with much after that ...".

Dave Thacker