[olug] USB printer setup.

Don Kauffman dekauff at cox.net
Mon Apr 4 02:01:35 UTC 2005

OK Got an interesting problem here. Not critical but interesting.

I run SUSE 9.1. and have a printer (Epson Stylus Photo 820) that
is either usb or parallel port. I know I have had it working as
either in the past. Right now it's set up on Parallel because
recently I couldn't get USB to work. Here's the history:

1. I came home from vacation several weeks ago to find that my
cups directory had been hammered out of existence (the machine
was down during my vacation). No idea why or what Happened. I had
it set up on USB before it went down and it was working then.

2. I reinstalled cups and went over my notes from when I had
reinstalled before. I got it set up and went to print -- nothing
happened -- no error messages but no printing either.I kept
trying every which way to get it to work.

3. Finally I took the step of going through the windows side
of my box and setting that up with usb. It printed. I know the
printer works with USB on Windows anyway. So it's not a printer
problem.

4. Then I decided to set up the parallel side on Linux. Now
that printed. So I must have misconfigured cups when  I was
setting it up to work with USB, there's a USB driver missing
or something else. I'm not sure which is most likely.

Any help would be appreciated  in tracking down what is
happening.

Thanks

Don Kauffman