[olug] UPS

William E. Kempf wekempf at cox.net
Wed Sep 22 10:56:27 UTC 2004

We recently had a power outage that caused my Linux box to shutdown
abnormally.  Since then I've had some problems with my ReiserFS
partitions.  I haven't done it yet, but I assume that an fsck will cure
this and so I'm not overly concerned with that or data loss (I've got
backups).  However, I suspect the issues are not coincidentally occurring
after the abnormal shutdown, and thus I'm considering the purcahse of a
UPS to prevent this in the future.  (The machine runs 24/7 and acts as my
personal server, but there's nothing machine critical on there, which is
why I've not considered a UPS until this point.)

So... I'm looking for advice on an inexpensive UPS system that works well,
is reliable, and is compatible with Linux (i.e. it can trigger a safe
shutdown prior to loss of battery power in cases that the electricity is
out for an extended time).  Anyone have suggestions?

--
William E. Kempf
wekempf at cox.net