[olug] Music Service Recommendations

Jacobs, Robert A. ra.jacobs at ngc.com
Wed Sep 22 14:58:28 UTC 2004

><quote who="Dave Thacker">
>> Now that I've got my 14 year old daughter running SuSe 9.1 and an
>> inexpensive
>> sound card installed, she wants to download music.   She's only allow to
>> download it legally.  Can anyone recommend a music subscription service
>> that's a) legal and b) linux-friendly, or at least linux-tolerant?

>The music 'services' are not the only source for 'legal' music. There are
>artists & music labels that release music tracks from their web site.
>Also, any music you already own you are legally allowed to make a copy for
>your personal use & backup purposes.

For some reason, I haven't received "Dave's" original message, so I'm
attaching my reply to Tim's.  Sorry if this screws up anyone's "threads".

Here are some great article on Kuro5hin that provides links to many
"Free Music" sites:

http://www.kuro5hin.org/story/2003/9/5/05113/70314

Snubbing the RIAA:

http://www.kuro5hin.org/story/2003/10/22/02551/056