[olug] iptables behind router

William E. Kempf wekempf at cox.net
Tue Sep 14 11:12:59 UTC 2004

On Tue, September 14, 2004 11:14 am, Ken MacFerrin said:
> William E. Kempf wrote:
>> Here's my network topology:
>>
>> [cable modem (cox)]<--->[router]<--->[comp A]
>>                                 <--->[comp B]
>>                                 <--->[WAP]<--->[laptop]
>>
>> The router is a Linksys router, and the built in firewall is
>> minimalistic
>> (well, at least what's readily available with out hacking... [snip]
>
> Well, the easiest solution might just be to do a little hacking..  If
> it's a Linksys WRT54G then just update the firmware to a custom kernel:
> http://www.sveasoft.com/modules/phpBB2/index.php

I'm aware of this, and actually referred to it in a round about way in my
post (I can understand why you didn't recognize it, however).  But, I'm a
cheap bastard and dare not risk having to buy new hardware because I screw
up somehow.  The research I've done on this subject suggests that if you
screw up this can render the hardware useless, and as remote as the chance
is of this happening... I've been reluctant to try this.

> Took me all of 10 minutes to install and now the box has twice the
> features and genuine ssh access.  From there you can forward as many
> ports as you'd like right from the router..

Yes, this is indeed very enticing... I just can't bring myself to try it. :(

--
William E. Kempf
wekempf at cox.net