[olug] OT: Help Stop the Induce Act: Call Congress Tomorrow

Christopher Cashell topher at zyp.org
Tue Sep 14 07:12:14 UTC 2004

D'oh!

Sorry, I forgot that olug@ strips out all attachments, including text
attachments.  Here's the content I was trying to include, inline this
time:

 On Tuesday, September 14, thousands of people will ask Congress to
 throw out the Induce Act, a bill that poses a dire threat to the future
 of innovation in America. Sign up here to add your voice:

 http://www.savebetamax.org/

 The Inducing Infringement of Copyrights Act (S.2560) would extend
 copyright liability to companies that "induce" copyright infringement.
 This profound change in the law would make it nearly impossible for a
 company to bring innovative new technologies to the market. Under the
 threat of entertainment industry lawsuits based on the Induce Act,
 technology companies would be forced to first ask permission from
 Hollywood and the record labels. If the entertainment industry had this
 kind of veto power in the past, it's likely that technologies like the
 VCR, iPod, and CD burners would never have seen the light of day.
 That's why we need you to speak out against the Induce Act:

 http://www.savebetamax.org/

 Our friends at Downhill Battle are coordinating the calls at
 SaveBetamax.org, a site that gives you the information you need to make
 a quick, easy call to Congress. SaveBetamax.org also provides
 background on why the Induce Act is so misguided, including an overview
 of the Supreme Court's decision in the famous Sony Betamax case, which
 established that the maker of a technology cannot be held liable for
 copyright violations by users as long as the technology has substantial
 non-infringing uses. This "Betamax doctrine" spurred two decades of
 unprecedented technological innovation - and enormous profits for the
 very companies that ironically want to reverse it with the Induce Act.

 Make sure Congress knows you don't support the Induce Act - sign up to
 call Congress at SaveBetamax.org. Thanks for your support.

 Sincerely,

 Ren Bucholz
 EFF Activism Coordinator
 http://www.eff.org