[olug] SuSE or RHEL or Centos or Fedora or Xandros

Brian Roberson roberson at olug.org
Thu Sep 9 06:48:13 UTC 2004

I can only comment on the Suse section's - but thought I would post anyways ( see inline )

On Mon, Sep 06, 2004 at 08:19:01AM -0500, Michael Peterson Wireless wrote:

> SuSE 9.1 Pro
>
> Overall:
> Good desktop but missing some things out of the box.

like what? ( other than dvd / mp3 support due to licensing issues )

> Does provide newest MySQL packages.
> Possible okay server ( many olug users have been able to get it to work
> properly ).

Works like a champ - Only issue I have really had thus far is with ipsec,
and that is a kernel issue semi-resolved with the latest patch. details:
2.6 has ipsec native support ; but most existing linux based solutions such
as the linksys *v* series gateways use 2.4 and free/swan, which can have
unexpected results connecting to 2.6 ipsec implementation, and this is really
only on unique wan connection types, notably pppOE

> My Results:
> Major problems when I try to have it run with 2 NIC cards and run normal
> services.
> This might be 2.6 issues that hopefully get resolved.
> Built-in firewall has issues with running 2 NIC cards.
> Replaced with custom firewall used by other olug users and still had issues.

multihomed servers are fine, the SuSE firewall ( configurable via "yast firewall" ) tries to be as basic
as possible, I can safely assure you that the problem you may have is simply misconfiguration.
may I ask what "issues" did you encounter?

> PHP/ MySQL does not work on reboot after working fine before reboot.

I am assuming this statement is reading as: apache and or mysql do not start after reboot....
try these out:
"man chkconfig"
or
"yast runlevel"

> Cdrecord does not see IDE CDR/CDRW drive.

this tricked me up at first as well, not really a suse issue, more of a cdrecord/2.6 kernel interface
change issue. try something like:

jbod:~ # cdrecord dev=ATA -scanbus
Cdrecord-Clone-dvd 2.01a27 (i686-suse-linux) Copyright (C) 1995-2004 Jörg Schil
ling
Note: This version is an unofficial (modified) version with DVD support
Note: and therefore may have bugs that are not present in the original.
Note: Please send bug reports or support requests to http://www.suse.de/feedback
Note: The author of cdrecord should not be bothered with problems in this version.
scsidev: 'ATA'
devname: 'ATA'
scsibus: -2 target: -2 lun: -2
Linux sg driver version: 3.5.27
Using libscg version 'schily-0.8'.
cdrecord: Warning: using inofficial libscg transport code version (okir at suse.de-
scsi-linux-sg.c-1.80-resmgr-patch '@(#)scsi-linux-sg.c  1.80 04/03/08 Copyright
1997 J. Schilling').
scsibus1:
        1,0,0   100) 'CREATIVE' 'DVD-ROM DVD1241E' '0.39' Removable CD-ROM
        1,1,0   101) 'VERBATIM' '481248AL        ' 'V8S2' Removable CD-ROM
        1,2,0   102) *
        1,3,0   103) *
        1,4,0   104) *
        1,5,0   105) *
        1,6,0   106) *
        1,7,0   107) *
jbod:~ #

so in my case, I use "cdrecord dev=ATA:1,1,0 speed=48 -isosize someimage.iso"
-- or
"k3b" - an excellent kde burning app