[olug] DoDNS extortion

Eric Penne epenne at olug.org
Wed Sep 8 16:17:43 UTC 2004

I am personally going to stay out of it because it isn't my company and
I know they have very qualified people on hand to handle it.  I do plan
on forwarding on a couple of responses to my IT friends that work there.
  I am also a customer of theirs so that is how I noticed the problem.
They have 2 T1s and a colo facility in CA.  It sounded like almost all
of the traffic was hitting 2 of the DNSs and ignoring their colo and 2nd
T1.  Not very smart of the attackers.  They are working with the
upstream providers but I don't know if they have contacted the
authorities.  It is slowing things down a bit for them which also
affects their customers ie their bottom line.  They are not the type of
people that would just give up the money though.  I think they would
take it as a challenge as a good way to beef up their security,
redundancy, and robustness.  I know I would.

Thanks for the responses.  I'll keep them in mind the next time I set up
a business network.

Eric Penne