[olug] google mail

OBrien, Timothy (Omaha Linux Users Group - OLUG) IrishMASMS at olug.org
Tue Sep 7 22:43:25 UTC 2004

<quote who="Bill Brush">
[snipped]

> JMO but this is unnecessarily brusque.  The guy was not "plugging"
> anything
> as mentioned in the FAQ.  He was offering gmail invites to other list
> members.  This would be generally construed as "helpful" as some people
> may
> indeed want an invite.
>
> Regardless of what your personal opinion of gmail is, there's no need to
> banish mention of it from the list.
>
> Bill

Sorry, but I have to disagree with you there. The plethora of gmail invite
threads in the communities, mailing lists, and other forums as of late
have plugged up the flow of information - there by being borderline
unsolicited email. I was not going to have the OLUG list have that same
sickness, with the overflow of individuals asking for invites and others
offering them. There are web sites & other forums already created for the
purpose of swapping/selling/giving away gmail invites.

This has nothing to do with my personal opinion; in fact I have a gmail
account. If it was a single post (with reply requested off list), or even
a news story posted to olug.org I would have let it slide.

This person contacted me to apologize, and we have the issue resolved. I
hope in the future if you have any concerns such as this that you bring
them to my attention off list, before bringing the whole list into the
possible drama fest & misunderstandings.

Thank you for your time & concern.

--
Timothy "Irish" O'Brien
Publicity & Social activities chairperson