[olug] PHP and Linux

Michael Peterson Wireless mikejack at stratomail.com
Mon Sep 6 13:07:55 UTC 2004

PHP and Linux

Has anyone other than myself came across issues with running PHP scripts for
so long that they lock up the Linux kernel and only a system reset will get
access to the system back?

The first time it happened I was trying to destroy objects that were not
created.
But the script ran for hours before the system become no longer accessible.
Ping still worked but no access services (HTTP, SSH, Telnet) worked to get
to the box.
This system is running RHEL ES 3 Update 2.

The second time was this weekend when I was running a script for 5-10 hours.
I was reading a MySQL database and creating a URL and then creating an image
and saving it to disk.
After running and creating over 32000 image files the entire system was no
longer accessible.
I changed the PHP script so it would be launched from an infinite loop shell
script and only run for a short time and save a mark point to a text file
and then the shell slept for 30 seconds and then restarted the PHP script
reading in the mark point and running from that point to the next mark
point. I let it only create about 2000 - 2500 images between mark points and
then stop. It continued until all images were created and I manually stopped
the shell script.
This system is running Centos 3.1 ( free recompiled from source clone to
RHEL ES 3 Update 1 ).