[olug] automated installs

Dave Hull dphull at insipid.com
Mon Sep 6 02:46:00 UTC 2004

Quoting Dave Thacker <dthacker9 at cox.net>:

> Have any OLUGer's successfully used auto-yast to successfully run a fully
> automated install of SuSE?  How about fai for Debian?  Did they work well?
> What problems did you encounter?

I know this doesn't answer your question, but I have used Kickstart/Anaconda for
Red Hat to make my own custom install CD. Six minutes from boot time to working
Advanced Server 3 box. Pretty cool when you've got several identical machines
to setup.

The main problem I ran into was the lack of decent documentation. I've attempted
to add to the body of knowledge here http://insipid.com/RHOneCD.pdf.

One of these days, I'd like to get the PXE boot working. This is more akin to
Sun's Jumpstart, or so I hear.

--
Dave Hull
http://insipid.com