[olug] Filesystem Compression

Phil Brutsche phil at brutsche.us
Sat Oct 30 18:05:04 UTC 2004

William Langford wrote:
> e2comp or whatever it was ... has been mentioned. I ran it a few times
> with pretty good success.  Gotta be careful of sectors that decide to
> die/corrupt tho...

That's what backups and RAIDs are for.

> long time ago, during the 2.0 series, i remember a 'block device'
> compressor. it wasn't neccessarily a file system compression setup, but
> it's primary use was as one.

The compressed loop block device (cloop)?

DMSDOS? http://cmp.felk.cvut.cz/~pisa/dmsdos/

The the former is read-only and the latter is primarily geared to 2.0.x
and 2.2.x kernels.  It could *theoretically* be used with 2.4.x kernels,
but only if you don't value system stability or your data!

--

Phil Brutsche
phil at brutsche.us