[olug] Contested view

gregory at r3g.net gregory at r3g.net
Wed Oct 27 14:12:37 UTC 2004

Yeah, I would say he exists in a cloud that is driven by advertising hearsay and not having trialed or experienced any of the available, working technologies for which he states are not presently available. He hasn't "seen" and won't "see" until his liberally-biased technology information source(s) *tell* him that these things are ready for prime time - it's all FUD, FUD, FUD. Let me guess, this guy is over forty and has been Microsoft admin all the way - damn, stubborn ol' fart!

Oh yeah, I just turned 42 ;-), but at least I have admin'd the gamut - NT to HP-UX, AIX and SCO, but gimme a Linux or Solaris system any day.

Maybe he needs to read about SGI and a single Linux image installation across ripping up the teraflops record previously held by Big Blue on fewer processors:

http://www.sgi.com/company_info/newsroom/press_releases/2004/october/worlds_fastest.html

olug-request at olug.org wrote:

>>> Subject:
>>> [olug] Contested view
>>> From:
>>> "John Dickson" <jman at neonramp.com>
>>> Date:
>>> Wed, 27 Oct 2004 07:05:42 -0500
>>> To:
>>> olug at olug.org
>>> To:
>>> olug at olug.org
>>>
>>>I got this from a die-hard bill-boy. He seems to be very set in his ways.
>>>
>>>Can anyone tell me how much dround he is standing on? Here is what I have....
>>>
>>>"What I meant specifically was in enterprise applications.  Linux hasn't yet
>>>been able to produce enterprise management systems for managing distributed
>>>environments.  Novell provides application distribution platforms, server
>>>configuration and management applications, directory services, and now with
>>>the purchase of Ximian, improved desktop management and applications.  These
>>>are all things I haven't seen RH and others do _successfully_ yet, and are
>>>just some of the features I want to see before I recommend enterprise-wide
>>>acceptance of, or migration to, Linux.  Novell is the only company I see
>>>doing these things, and doing them well, but they may never see the light of
>>>day because of their stigma."

Gregory W Zill, MBA
Information Security | Solaris | Linux | Cisco | Network
402-556-1963