[olug] Contested view

John Dickson jman at neonramp.com
Wed Oct 27 12:05:42 UTC 2004

I got this from a die-hard bill-boy. He seems to be very set in his ways.

Can anyone tell me how much dround he is standing on? Here is what I have....

"What I meant specifically was in enterprise applications.  Linux hasn't yet
been able to produce enterprise management systems for managing distributed
environments.  Novell provides application distribution platforms, server
configuration and management applications, directory services, and now with
the purchase of Ximian, improved desktop management and applications.  These
are all things I haven't seen RH and others do _successfully_ yet, and are
just some of the features I want to see before I recommend enterprise-wide
acceptance of, or migration to, Linux.  Novell is the only company I see
doing these things, and doing them well, but they may never see the light of
day because of their stigma."