[olug] Library software request

OBrien, Timothy (Omaha Linux Users Group - OLUG) IrishMASMS at olug.org
Thu Oct 21 00:40:10 UTC 2004

<quote who="Ryan Stille">
>> What specific capabilities are you looking for? Any incidents that
>> prompted you to investigate this sort of solution?
>
> I would like to be able to load books, CDs, DVDs, etc into the system by
> scanning the ISBN or typing it in.  Then have the system load up all
> relevant data from Amazon or the Library of Congress.

I do not know of any open source solutions that do this; in fact I do not
know of any closed source ILS that does this without user interaction.
There is an ILS project from New Zealand I heard about, but way beyond
what you are looking at.

> Then allow users to check material in and out on their own.   This will be
> a system in a (very small) church library, so there wouldn't be a
> librarian on hand.  The library hasn't been used much before, but it's
> being expanded now.  They are using some type paper/card system for
> checkin/checkout currently.

For an operation this small, you might be better off keeping it a manual
process.

> Tim, I saw your post about moving to Las Vegas; best of luck to you.  I
> think you will be missed from the Omaha group.

Thanks. Do not think I will be going that far though - cyberspace brings
everything & everyone closer! ;)

--
Timothy "Irish" O'Brien
Publicity & Social activities chairperson