[olug] Sorta OT: Adaptec RAID port card availability

OBrien, Timothy (Omaha Linux Users Group - OLUG) IrishMASMS at olug.org
Fri Oct 15 20:42:07 UTC 2004

<quote who="Daniel Linder">
[snipped]

> Have you checked with the motherboard manufacturers website to see if
they
> sell the add-on card?  If you purchase through them, you might pay more
>but then you'll have one potential tech support group to call if/when it
>stops working.  If you don't buy from them, at least you'll have a part
> number to 'Google' on and see who else sells it.

Another part of the sad, PITA story: there is no markings as to
manufacturers or part number on the face of the board. I looked everywhere!

So, while troubleshooting an issue with the SCSI drives I placed in the
system, I noticed that during the POST it displayed Tyan Thunderbolt
v2.00.07 Intel 440GX. Pow! I bet that is the motherboard. A quick google &
I find the main page for the board:
http://www.tyan.com/products/html/thunderbolt.html

Looking at the site, it looks to be the first on the list:
Standard Models - S1837UANGR
Chipset - 440GX
RAID Port Slot - yes
Memory (RAM) - 2 GB
Integrated Audio - Creative ES1373
UPC Number - 6 35872 00482 7

>> 2. Suggest sources for the card?
>> 3. Any experiences with using these cards in *nix and/or WinJunk?
>
> I have used Adaptec SCSI controllers in the past (the AHA-2940 was one
of
> mine early on), and have used their RAID controllers in various servers
setting up RAID-5 stripes across 4-5 drives and in general the Adaptec
cards work fine.  About 60% of my experience was Win2000, the other 40%
was Linux (RH 7.X vintage).

>> 4. Any suggestions with using this sort of setup?
>
> What are you going to do with it?  Large file server?  High-performance
database?  Workstation?

I was trying to set it up as a quick file server for sharing some files &
docs between myself & my next door neighbor; who needs some storage space
to move his stuff to so he could totally redo his current system
(reformat, partition, etc). Not so much as a geek as your or I, so he only
has one system at home. =)

> So, what type of MB was this?  How do you like it so far?  Does it take
ECC DDR RAM? Do you need two 512MB sticks? ;)

Whether I like it or not is depending on if I can figure out this quirky
SCSI problem I am having. ;)

I think I could use those sticks of memory - the quick glance over the
manual tells me the MB can use up to 2 GB! Can you bring those sticks to
the PC Fair & swap meet on Sunday [http://millardcomputerfair.com/]? If
you are unable to make it Sunday, contact me off list ASAP.

--
Timothy "Irish" O'Brien
Publicity & Social activities chairperson