[olug] Python based replacement for Procmail

Jay Hannah jay at jays.net
Wed Oct 13 15:28:33 UTC 2004

On Oct 11, 2004, at 1:47 PM, William E. Kempf wrote:
> So, I decided I wanted a new solution.  Procmail is nice, but it's just
> not for me.  I thought a filter in a full scripting language would be
> much
> better, and since I like Python, I thought that would be the best
> solution
> for me.

I've never used either of these, but they're probably worth a glance:

---

http://search.cpan.org/~simon/Mail-Audit-2.1/Audit.pm
"procmail is nasty. It has a tortuous and complicated recipe format,
and I don't like it. I wanted something flexible whereby I could filter
my mail using Perl tests."

---

http://search.cpan.org/~jv/Mail-Procmail-1.08/lib/Mail/Procmail.pm
"procmail is a great mail filter program, but it has weird recipe
format. It's pattern matching capabilities are basic and often
insufficient. I wanted something flexible whereby I could filter my
mail using the power of Perl.

I've been considering to write a procmail replacement in Perl for a
while, but it was Simon Cozen's Mail::Audit module, and his article in
The Perl Journal #18, that set it off.

I first started using Simon's great module, and then decided to write
my own since I liked certain things to be done differently. And I
couldn't wait for his updates."

---

FWIW,

lightweight procmail user

Omaha Perl Mongers: http://omaha.pm.org

http://www.unix.org.ua/orelly/perl/prog3/ch10_01.htm
"False Impatience... if you're determined to reinvent the wheel, at
least try to invent a better one."