[olug] Sorta OT: Adaptec RAID port card availability

OBrien, Timothy (Omaha Linux Users Group - OLUG) IrishMASMS at olug.org
Sun Oct 10 23:23:35 UTC 2004

Working on the configuration and setup of some dual processor file & game
servers I have, and noticed that with the on board Adaptec SCSI they have
the capability for the RAID port add on card. Cool - I could add a few of
the 9 GB SCSI drives in and make them one large partition, righ?

Well, not as easy as we hoped. This motherboard has a RAIDport II support,
and the ARO-1130U2 RAID card (donated from a friend) is for RAIDport III.
Doh! We did try the card in the system, would not work at all.

Googling around trying to figure out which card would work for a RAIDport
II, I think that I am looking for a ARO-1130SA but having a problem
confirming this. Also, trying to find a source for one I am coming up
empty. So I again turn to my fellow OLUG hardware geeks for some answers:

1. Which Adaptec cards can I get that has RAIDport II support & will work
in  this motherboard? Is the ARO-1130SA the correct one?
1a. I doubt it, but would anyone else make a comparable card for this?
2. Suggest sources for the card?
3. Any experiences with using these cards in *nix and/or WinJunk?
4. Any suggestions with using this sort of setup?

Link from Adaptec listing the ARO-1130U2 RAID card, and some other
possible options for the Motherboard I have:
http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/support/supporteditorial.jsp?sess=no&language=English+US&prodkey=raid_guide

TIA!!!!

--
Timothy "Irish" O'Brien
Publicity & Social activities chairperson