[olug] sorta OT: P3 / Xeon processor compatability

Phil Brutsche phil at brutsche.us
Sat Oct 9 06:27:16 UTC 2004

OBrien, Timothy (Omaha Linux Users Group - OLUG) wrote:

> Ok, fellow hardware geeks
>
> I have three server motherboards with around P400's or P450's. Talking
> with a friend of mine, he has two Xeon 800 from a Gateway (aka Junkway)
> server that he can let me have.
>
> Looking over these xeon processors tonight at his place before heading to
> our Linux User's Group meeting, and they have two 'breaks' in connector
> for the processor slot, creating three 'teeth'. Any of the Pentium slot
> ones I have seen only have one 'break', creating two 'teeth'. Am I to
> assume that the processors are not interchangeable on the motherboards
> (unless the motherboards were specifically designed for cross
> compatibility between the processors)?

Correct - your PIIs are Slot 1 processors, those 800MHz Xeon processors
are Slot 2.  They're about as interchangable as a Socket 370 PIII and a
Socket A Athlon.

> If so, does anyone have some high end slot one Pentium processors so I can
> upgrade my file & game servers?

Matched pair processors are hard to come by and can be quite expensive,
particularly the units that need a 100MHz FSB.  They are highly
sought-after by many people in your situation.

But before you go off and get some processors, you should check your
motherboard compatibility first - best case: it'll just work, worst
case: you have the wrong motherboard revision for anything faster than
550MHz and will blow up the motherboard and/or processors if you try it
(different voltage requirements).

Be prepared to flash your BIOS.

--

Phil Brutsche