[olug] sorta OT: P3 / Xeon processor compatability

OBrien, Timothy (Omaha Linux Users Group - OLUG) IrishMASMS at olug.org
Fri Oct 8 18:08:49 UTC 2004

Ok, fellow hardware geeks

I have three server motherboards with around P400's or P450's. Talking
with a friend of mine, he has two Xeon 800 from a Gateway (aka Junkway)
server that he can let me have.

Looking over these xeon processors tonight at his place before heading to
our Linux User's Group meeting, and they have two 'breaks' in connector
for the processor slot, creating three 'teeth'. Any of the Pentium slot
ones I have seen only have one 'break', creating two 'teeth'. Am I to
assume that the processors are not interchangeable on the motherboards
(unless the motherboards were specifically designed for cross
compatibility between the processors)?

If so, does anyone have some high end slot one Pentium processors so I can
upgrade my file & game servers?

--
Timothy "Irish" O'Brien
Publicity & Social activities chairperson