[olug] System management tools

Sean Kelly smkelly at zombie.org
Tue Nov 30 17:48:07 UTC 2004

On Fri, Nov 26, 2004 at 11:01:16PM -0600, Daniel Pfile wrote:
> That said, I dug for some more links.
> http://www.open-challenge.nl/scc/index.html
>
> System configuration collector. Looks neat. Should help with your
> baseline.
> http://www.stokely.com/unix.sysadm.resources/autosysmgm.backup.html

I've found the mother of all links:
Best Practices in Automated Systems Administration and Infrastructure Architecture
http://www.infrastructures.org/

I am now experimenting with cfengine using FreeBSD's jail abilities. I've
taken a mostly empty /24 and filled it with a ton of jails. Now I'm using
cfengine to learn how to best configure them. After this, I will move on to
try other tools, other approaches, and add other systems and configurations
to the mix.

I also plan to take a good look at everything that infrastructures.org
offers. It is a very good site, in my opinion.

Anyway, this is likely the last you'll hear from me on this subject for a
while. Interest seems to have died down a bit and I'm off in the
"experiment to come up with a proposal" land now.

--
Sean Kelly         | PGP KeyID: D2E5E296
smkelly at zombie.org | http://www.zombie.org