[olug] System management tools

Cale Lewis dlazlo at fbx.com
Sat Nov 27 03:17:12 UTC 2004

I was going to say that although It may sound lame to those with more
experience, I use Webmin occasionally. Not having a lot of experience under
my belt, it often eases the pain of differing config file organization
between OSes, and works on almost everything I've got running. The one
weakspot for me has been IRIX, which isn't quite 'there yet' in Webmin.

Since Webmin is Python-based IIRC, I wonder if much of it (ie: the modules)
couldn't be used to fill gaps in something else that comes close to doing the
job via a script. At least as far as info gathering that should help, even if
you occasionaly have to use other means to change a setting. I'll see if I
can find the piece I was reading on reusing the modules. Pretty sure I filed
it away for future reference.

That said, my lack of experience is why I came to OLUG, so I could learn
more. I'd be interested in what you find that works or comes close so I can
give it a look.

Cale Lewis