[olug] Open Office Calc Question

K.J. Kirwan kjk_elec at ix.netcom.com
Sat Nov 27 02:23:44 UTC 2004

Hi Joe,

OOo uses the function  =POWER(Base;Power)
where Base is the number you begin with and
Power is the number you want to raise/lower
the Base to the power of.  (Huh?)

So to get roots, you raise to fractional powers, i.e.,
square root = raise to the 1/2 power,
cube root = raise to the 1/3 power, etc.

Beware of cell formatting changing the numbers,
especially if you use fractional display format.
It seems to be limited to one-digit denominators.
Maybe 1/9 is the smallest legit fraction, else weirdness?
Decimal formats seem to work fine though.

I sent you some examples that read from cells.
Let me know if any of this helped.

Kim Kirwan