[olug] [OT} Anti-virus boot scheme

Mike Hostetler hostetlerm at gmail.com
Tue Nov 23 17:43:59 UTC 2004

I volunteered my troubleshooting services to someone who seems to
either have a virus issues or a power supply.  The issue is that the
machine mysteriously shutsdown -- usually a sign of overheating from
my experience, and I've seen viruses take up so many CPU cycles that
the CPU overheats.  I've also seen just bad power supplies as well.

Anyway, back in the day (mid to late 90's) the most accepted way to
scan for viruses was to boot from a floppy with a virus scanner on it
to scan the hard drive.  Since I'm sure that this machine doesn't have
an anti-virus on it, I don't want to load one on an already-infected
machine.  Does anyone know of a modern anti-virus that you can use on
a boot floppy or CD-ROM?

--
Mike Hostetler
http://www.binary.net/thehaas