[olug] Can't get usbnet module to load with modprobe

Jay Swackhamer Jay at RebootTheUser.com
Sat Nov 20 18:31:27 UTC 2004

a .ko is a kernel object(module) for 2.6 kernels (2.4 are just.o)

if the module is there, it should be loaded by
#modprobe usbnet

if it is not found, then re-run
#depmod
#modprobe usbnet

if you get no response, it would have loaded, do a
#lsmod
to verify, and
#dmesg
to see the output of the module load
also, make sure that the module you are trying to load is for the running
kernel
#uname -a

to try and debug, load it manually by
#cd /lib/modules/2.6.5-7.111-smp/kernel/drivers/usb/net
#insmod usbnet