[olug] Trouble with DiamondLink software for a Mitsubishi 7011A UPS

Eric Johnson eric_j at oasis.novia.net
Thu Nov 18 22:41:57 UTC 2004

Thanks for the reply.

On Thu, 18 Nov 2004, Sean Edwards wrote:

> 1) Do you have the correct cable?  Some of the APC UPS
> units have proprietary wiring schemes for their
> "serial" cables; a serial or null modem cable may not
> necessarily work.

I hope so, it's the cable they sent out. I even made sure to attach the
end labelled 'UPS' to the UPS. I also put on the ferrite toroid per the
instructions.

> 2) Are you using the correct device?  Some of the
> serial device names changed with kernel 2.4

yes. I confirmed again. /dev/ttyS0

> 3) Is there another program using the serial port?

lsof output shows:

cluster1 sys-apps # lsof /dev/ttyS0
COMMAND   PID USER   FD   TYPE DEVICE SIZE NODE NAME
DevManBE 7485 root   10u   CHR   4,64       869 /dev/tts/0

DevManBE is the monitoring program -- so I assume this is correct.

> 4) Have you read the Serial HOWTO?:
> http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Serial-HOWTO.html

A couple of times, but that doesn't mean I didn't miss something stupidly
basic.

-- Eric Johnson
-- eric_j at oasis.novia.net

This space intentionally left blank