[olug] cups problem

Don Kauffman dekauff at cox.net
Tue Nov 9 19:35:16 UTC 2004

I've been having a cups problem the last couple of days.

I reinstalled cups after trying LPRng. cups dies with the following
message:

cupsd: Child exited with status 98!

I've done a fair amount of online searching and found that this
indicates that something else is already listening on the port that
cupsd is configured on (631). I'm looking for a way to find out what
else is listening on that port and maybe  what I can do about it. I used
to know a command that told me that but I've forgotten it.

nmap doesn't do it -- at least none of the options that I've tried work.

Thanks anyone,

Don Kauffman