[olug] DNS recommendation?

Sean Edwards cybersean3000 at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 5 18:37:46 UTC 2004

I use dnsmasquerade (dnsmasq).  It replaces bind and
can be configured to read from /etc/hosts file.
Initially, I used it because bind could not do dns
u-turns; in other words, it could not properly resolve
the external dns names back through my coyote linux
nat configuration.

dnsmasq is also helpful with pop-up ads with an entry
like 127.0.0.1 ads.doubleclick.net.  It is also handy
for blocking other sites if you have such a
requirement to do so.  If you have a large and dynamic
list of sites to block, there are more practical
solutions.

It is also available as a Debian package ;)

cybersean3000