[olug] Media Players, Media Editors, Databases and Java

gregory at r3g.net gregory at r3g.net
Thu Nov 4 22:23:23 UTC 2004

>I'm using SUSE 9.1 Professional.

<snip>

>I also need to know what Database programs work well
>on Linux.  I went to the MySQL page and was confused
>on what version to DL.

My 9.1 Pro install (ymmv) already had MySQL installed. As root, try:

 /usr/bin/mysql  -h localhost -p <enter>

to get a prompt. You will then want to access the online docs to perform initial security tasks and to create a "regular" user.
 http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/

>Same thing goes for Java as directly above.

Then I also executed "javac" the java compiler equiv to cc or gcc and got the usage listing, so that must be installed also. I do not develop in java but know the rudimentary compiler command, I realize this is CLI, and you may want a GUI.

>I'll be asking about Linux DVR's at some Point for the
>MythTV experts out there.

Reboottheuser.com has a MythTV product and (Jay) lurks here as well...

>Thanks in advance,
>Joe Gulizia

Gregory W Zill, MBA
Information Security | Solaris | Linux | Cisco | Network
402-556-1963