[olug] SMTP fun

Phil Brutsche phil at brutsche.us
Thu Nov 4 21:34:50 UTC 2004

Jon H. Larsen wrote:

> Verizon started deferring email out of my work server on Monday afternoon.
> Now, the strange thing is, I moved all the deferred messages from my
> mqueue directory, and I can send email fine.  If I put them back, problems
> arise.
>
> The two common errors I get are:
>
> 450 Deferred: Bad file descriptor
>
> Deferred: 450 Requested mail action not taken-Try
> later:sc005pub.verizon.net
>
> I have put some of them back into the queue, to see if the time out of
> the queue may have cleared up the problem.  Apparently not.

Verizon's admins are generally considered to be clueless...

> These are very simple messages, no complex mime boundaries or none at all.
>
> Verizon told me flat out that I had problems on my mail server that needs
> fixed, I don't believe them, as why should it 'suddenly' stop working
> when I've been fowarding mail to a verizon account since Feb with no
> problems.  The individual on the phone said "I have never heard of
> Sendmail", which ruins their credibility.

... but that's nothing compared to their tech support.  I can tell you
for a fact that you're not the only person having this particular
problem with Verizon.  I haven't seen anything even resembling a fix,
either.

> I need to get this email out to a client, so I'm under the gun so
> to speak.

Best thing I can suggest is to find another way to get mail to
verizon.net addresses, or ask this client if they have another address
you can use.

--

Phil Brutsche
phil at brutsche.us