[olug] Linux Recommendations?

Dietz, John D. dietz_j at alltel.net
Mon May 31 20:39:12 UTC 2004

Vince,

	Thanks for the thought.  This idea did cross my mind, but as I am
reading what I previously wrote, I noticed that I did not seem to include
some important information.
	After talking to my roommates about the whole situation, it seems
that they would like to have people connect into our network so that they
can play LAN games without having to mess with things such as battle.net
(most of these portal services are blocked on campus anyways).  That leads
me to believe that I would need to setup a VPN.
	We can also connect into the campus network, probably through VPN.
Would it be easiest to setup the client on the server and let everyone on
the LAN connect to campus via the one VPN tunnel, or should each individual
connect via their own VPN tunnel.  I am aware that there are some security
issues with that idea, but this way, the server could control the bandwidth
for the VPN connection.
	I was originally thinking of setting up a Linux server with a couple
of NICs and configuring the server with some daemons for remote access.  Not
sure what you all think about this, and I would like to hear what people
have done for situations like this if at all possible.

Thanks,

John

John D. Dietz
144 Arborview Drive