[olug] Linux Recommendations?

Dietz, John D. dietz_j at alltel.net
Mon May 31 03:57:04 UTC 2004

	Next year, my College is allowing tons of people to live off-campus
next year (this is a first in many, many years).  A bunch of us are going to
live together next year, and each from a variety of computing backgrounds.
We are going to need to share Internet access next year.  The College uses
Exchange 2000 Server for all campus e-mail (I have no idea why, but they
do).  I was wondering what you recommended for sharing Internet.  I was
thinking of using a Linux server of some kind (since I am one of the more
network savvy individuals), but I was unsure of what distribution to use.  I
would like to go for easy to configure and secure.
	I need to set it up however so that people can use Outlook to
connect to the College Exchange server.  I have tested this out, and it does
indeed work, despite my first guess that it would be blocked by the College
firewall.  Does anyone know what it takes to set this stuff up to allow
multiple individuals Outlook and Apple Mail access to the Exchange server
via one IP?  I am going to NAT the network, and I would like some
recommendations.

Thanks in advance,

John

John D. Dietz