[olug] Mandrake vs. Suse bandwidth

John DiMartino john_dimartino at mac.com
Sat May 29 14:08:33 UTC 2004

Hey guys,

I just did a test of Mandrake 10 and Suse 9.0.  I used the same version
of Samba and both were run with out the GUI on the exact same box just
hours apart.  When connected to the machines using a windows machine -
the Mandrake 10 box pushes about 30 mbit/s out of a 100 mbit/s line
using large files.  The Suse box on the exact same box an hour and a
half later got 60 mbit/s.  I couldn't believe the difference so I
reinstalled Mandrake 10 again and got the same results.

The only difference between the two distros is that Mandrake is using
the 2.6 kernel where Suse 9 is still using the 2.4 kernel.

Just thought I would let you guys know in case you needed a network file
server and were running mandrake.

Later,
John