[olug] DBD::Pg compile error

Christopher Cashell topher at zyp.org
Wed May 26 05:42:27 UTC 2004

At Tue, 25 May 04, Unidentified Flying Banana jman at neonramp.com, said:
> I have been pulling my hair out trying to get the perl module DBD::Pg to
> compile on RDFC2. Below is only a partial of a much larger series of
> similar errors.
>
> I would appreciated any help on this

I've never actually tried compiling this module (Debian makes life so
easy, sometimes ;-), so I'm guessing on some of this. However, at a
glance, it appears to be looking for things (libraries?) and not finding
them.

> John
>
> I have run the prerequisite perl installs and each time I am returned with:

What about the non-Perl prerequisite? ;-)

Do you have PostgreSQL, and in particular, the client libraries (and
probably the client library development files), installed?

The DBD-Pg module README lists the following requirements:

 build, test, and install Perl 5         (at least 5.6.1)
 build, test, and install the DBI module (at least 1.35)
 build, test, and install PostgreSQL     (at least 7.2)
 build, test, and install Test::Simple   (at least 0.30)

Can you verify that all of those are in fact installed and working?

Also, just out of curiosity, is there a reason you're building from
source, instead of just grabbing the RPM?  I admit that I've not used
Fedora Core, but I remember this being fairly readily available via RPM
on Red Hat, last time I tried it.

[Snip: Errors.]