advertising/plugging on the list--- Re: [olug] Newby Needs help

Brian Wiese bwiese at cotse.com
Sat May 22 14:56:24 UTC 2004

On Tue, 18 May 2004 10:19:30 -0500
"Craig Wolf" <cjwolf at mpsomaha.org> wrote:

|... Jay did what he was
|asked and has not personally plugged his business even though I am sure
|he has many times seen a good spot too.  He respected the list's wishes
|and I appreciate that as so should the others here.

"so should the others here"???  (just to clarify any misinterpretations)

are you referring to other list members advertising their own business for
personal gain on the list -- or -- any plugs by list members for any
businesses in particular (RTU, clancy's, best buy, compusa, computer
fairs/auctions, DIT)?

now what makes sense to me, and I feel is the purpose of this list, is the
'help people'.  guide them to wherever they need to go or do to help solve
their problems.  if this involves mentioning a business/vendor in
particular (esp one that supports GNU/Linux!) - I don't see any problem
with that and in many instances would encourage it.  so what I'm saying
is...

"take everything in context".  is the post/reference made solely to
benefit the company -- or the user/list-member/customer who is in need of
a solution or answer to their problem?  I haven't seen any of the former
posted to the list, and I would always encourage the later.

Brian

--
Brian Wiese          "What we do in life, echoes in eternity."
bwiese(at)cotse.com  gpg: 0x46D4332E    keyserver: pgp.mit.org