[olug] SCO Lawsuit

Jay Swackhamer Jay at RebootTheUser.com
Wed May 19 15:51:56 UTC 2004

They have not laid claim to specific parts of the kernel code, and have
both stated that there is SCO code in the vanilla kernel, and that there
is no SCO code in the vanilla kernel.

SCO has asked that the discovery timeframe be extended so that they can
fish for code.

If you need to console management, then implement a distribution that
offers some protection against lawsuits. There are so many lawsuits that
it is hard to keep track of them all.

By your/any other company not implementing Linux, SCO has gotten what they
wanted.

If your director is worried about the lawsuits, then you should bring up
the list of lawsuits that Microsoft has had filed against it, and settled
most of them because Microsoft was doing bad things. What companies have
talked about not implementing windows because Microsoft has have stolen
code? They get sued for the same thing every couple of months.

You should not base technical needs/business decisions on court cases that
have not been decided, nor any evidence shown. SCO can threaten to sue
anyone they like, but the cases so far have been held pending the outcome
of the IBM/SCO suit.

--
"SCO commenced this litigation in March 2003, more than a year ago. Trial
is currently scheduled for April 2005, nearly one year from now. Yet, due