[olug] DNS issue

Terry td3201 at yahoo.com
Mon May 17 21:58:12 UTC 2004

Hmmm..

nslookup<enter>
server=204.26.64.1   ### This is a qwest.net DNS
Server
www.yahoo.com

Does this work?

If not, your client is foob'd.  ( I doubt it cuz you
have multiple clients with a problem but could be a
firewall issue with regards to the client(s).)

I would also do some nmapping to find out if the
require ports are available....

nmap -sU -p 53 ip.address.of.dns  (careful, I am not
sure if this is bad practice or not)  I would do it
but that doesn't say a whole lot...haha

--- IrishMASMS at olug.org wrote:
> While configuring our new Library management system
> today, I noticed that
> our assigned DNS is not reporting correctly -
> specifically NSLookups.
> Hence, we are having problems with our Sun systems
> accessing the Internet.
> So when I try to open a browser to go to Sun &
> download the latest patches
> the browser hangs & locks up on me.
>
> When you run NSLookup (at the command line or via a
> configuration file)
> you get an error:
> [quote]
> Can't find server name for address (the IP of the
> DNS): Non-existent
> domain Default servers are not available Default
> server: UnKnown
> Address: (the IP for the DNS)
> [/end quote]
> This is the results we get from one of our Win2K
> clients, the error on the
> Sun servers are similar but less verbose.
>

> I have already called our ISP firewall folks, and
> they vectored me to some
> other office which opened a ticket - but this office
> seems clueless as to
> the problem, who manages the DNS, etc. Their reply
> was that if they can
> ping the IP of the DNS then everything is operating
> fine!
>
> Could someone provide some assistance with this
> problem? I am at a loss on
> what to do next & what the actual problem is. Thank
> you for your time.
>
> Irish

=====
Terry