[olug] Samba

Craig Wolf cjwolf at mpsomaha.org
Fri May 14 18:24:16 UTC 2004

Ok, here we go.  I have a Samba server serving 7 people with 3-4 people accessing the database of a program that is on each workstation.  The program works GREAT when 1 person is in it.  We just started using it with more than 1 person and noticed a problem.  It appears that there is some file locking going on because when 2-3 people get into it, 1 can work ok, one locks up completely, and the other person's access is PAINFULLY slow.  I am using the version of Samba that comes with SuSE 9.0 Pro (Version:2.2.8?) with current patches (of OS and Samba).  I DID find an article about adding "locking=no" to the smb.conf global area and I did that with no word from the office if that helped.
Here are my 2 questions:
1. Upgrading to Samba 3.02, what would I need to watch for?  Other than the Samba RPM, what else would I need?  Would the file locking issue go away?
2. Since I just got SuSE 9.1 Pro in, what issues would I possibly see with upgrading the system completely?  In particular, the 2.6 kernel.

This server is an HP Proliant DL350, 3-36GB Raid 5, 1GB RAM, 2 NIC config with a 1-1 NAT firewall (Thanx Adam!) and an internal DLT8000 tape drive.

If I don't find a "workaround/fix" quickly for this piece of software, this machine will have to have Windows server 2000 installed and setup.  TIA!!

Signed,
Craig "Frustrated by crappy window$ software" Wolf