[olug] Newby Needs help

Jon H. Larsen relayer at levania.org
Thu May 13 12:57:47 UTC 2004

On Wed, 12 May 2004 vfarber at dtnspeed.net wrote:

> Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 13:33:25 -500
> From: vfarber at dtnspeed.net
> To: olug at olug.org
> Subject: [olug] Newby Needs help
>
> I am new to Linux, and having much trouble with SuSe 8.2, is there anyone that I could call on the phone when I need help.  Like it recognizes the CD, but I can't get it to read it or let me use it for installing my new printer a Canon S520.  The instructions in the manual are impossible to follow.
>     Would appreciate communicating at other times than at the meetings. Its hard to wait 3-4 weeks for help.
>     Thanks, Ginnie Farber
>     vfarber at dtnspeed.net

Hmm... is the CD scratched?  Are you haveing problems reading any other
CDs, such as an Audio cd?  When you run yast to add a printer, does it
prompt you for the CD?

As for the printer, according the the Linux printing database, the S500,
(the previous version of the S520) works partially.  You an see the info
here:
<http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=Canon-S500>

If the setup program, yast, is asking for the CD, it's probably because
the package needed for the operation of the printers, I believe CUPS
for Suse 8.2, needs to be installed.

I have only begun to have exposure to Suse and yast lately, so I wouldn't
be the best phone call person.

--
Jon H. Larsen  - email: relayer (at) levania (dot) org
Omaha Linux Users Group - http://www.olug.org/