[olug] multi-cpu...the G'Neric way

Patrick McNeil pmcneil at dragool.com
Wed May 12 12:44:40 UTC 2004

I think what you are looking for is openmosix
(http://openmosix.sourceforge.net/).  We have a test cluster setup here at
work (4 nodes currently, looking at deploying it to our 400 node alternate
worksite for some graduate work for one of the guys).  It can take any
number of computers and setup a cluster of computers that all distribute
jobs amongst themselves.

Depending on what you are looking for, there is even a knoppix version
that has a built in network boot server so you won't need hard drives in
each computer.

The nice thing about OpenMosix is that you don't need to recompile your
code, as long as you are using the standar fork() commands your processes
should move to the node that is least busy.

Patrick