[olug] apache logging

Tim & Alethea Larson thelarsons3 at cox.net
Thu May 6 02:08:07 UTC 2004

Hello list...

I am having a problem with Apache not logging anything.  It is probably
due to file permissions, but maybe to config issues.

My content/log directories are owned by root/staff and set to 775.
 Apache runs as webuser/webgroup.  I don't want to make my users part of
the "web services" group, nor do I want to make Apache part of my
"trusted users" group.  What's a good security policy for file
permissions here?

Do I need to specify TransferLog in addition to CustomLog in the conf
file?  How do I specify the log type then?  Maybe it's piping the logs
through rotatelogs that's causing the problem?

As you can probably tell, this is my first time with Apache.  Reading
the docs and googling have not (yet) turned up answers for me.  I'd like
to get Apache set up properly and tweaked to my liking before I start
trying to add stuff on top of it.

Thanks in advance,
Tim

--