[olug] Another SSH Configuration Question

Daniel Linder dan at linder.org
Wed Mar 31 16:02:15 UTC 2004

Brandon Lederer said:
> Recently, gentoo sent me an update to my SSH config.     One of the
> changes it
> wanted to make was to only allow SSH Protocol 2, instead of 1 &
> 2..............
>
> What are the ramifications of this?
>
> Just want to make sure I wont break anything.

See my e-mail from just a minute ago.  V1 is older and more widely
supported, but if you are the only one getting onto the machine, then V2
is the way to go whenever possible.

If I remember correctly (IIRC), the V1 protocol had some security issues
which made it easier to break into.  V2 corrected these and added some
extra security features (added AES encryption and some enhanced port
forwarding if I remember correctly).

Dan