[olug] LINUX on PPC : booting after installation

Tim & Alethea Larson thelarsons3 at cox.net
Sat Mar 27 04:56:55 UTC 2004

gvanmill at unmc.edu wrote:

>Well OK, I didn't think booting was system specific.  The system is a
>Blue/white G3 that was torn down except for the CPU. So I took PC parts to
>replace every thing except for the video card which I borrowed from a MAC
>friend(doesn't do linux) ATI 128.  So I put in 64 Meg RAM, 2 gig hard
>drive and a CD-ROM.  Last night I tried the "Command option o f" sequence
>to get to the Open Firmware 2.x (I didn't pay attention to what x was).
>Then I tried the "boot hd:0,yaboot" on it, but it errors out, so I tried
>1,2,3,4,5, which errors out as well.  For YDL, I'' have to check, because
>I can't remember what version it was.  I think it's about 6 months old
>since I down loaded it.  The machine never came with a mac-os, since the
>hard drive was from a PC architecture.  I thought that when I installed
>YDL, I choose yaboot for the 1st partition, / for the second partition,
>and swap for the 3rd partition.  The tests I've run above seem to me that
>yaboot didn't get loaded.  Also, the system doesn't have a floppy drive,
>only a CD-ROM.

Hmm, I was always under the impression that New World booting with OF
was relatively straightforward.  Have you read all the online
documentation at yellowdoglinux.com already?  IIRC it pretty much walks
you through it.  If not, they do have their own mailing lists.  Also,
lowendmac.com has a Unix mailing list that I've found helpful in the past.

Tim

--
Tim & Alethea
www.ChristTrek.org