[olug] Debian iptables practices?

neal rauhauser neal at lists.rauhauser.net
Wed Mar 24 21:28:59 UTC 2004

   I recently installed Knoppix (Debian) on my spare laptop. I've got a
Sprint PCS data card that I made work in the system and now I'm wanting
to firewall it properly.

  The iptables stuff doesn't seem too different from the ipchains I
recall from my Red Hat days, but the startup of firewalling under
Knoppix is very different - there is some script for 'saving state' and
the author in comments suggests it isn't the right way to do things.

  Can anyone tell me briefly where iptables should go? Whip up a script
in /etc/init.d, add it to run level 3, and away I go?