[olug] LINUX on PPC : booting after installation

gvanmill at unmc.edu gvanmill at unmc.edu
Fri Mar 26 15:26:29 UTC 2004

Well OK, I didn't think booting was system specific.  The system is a
Blue/white G3 that was torn down except for the CPU. So I took PC parts to
replace every thing except for the video card which I borrowed from a MAC
friend(doesn't do linux) ATI 128.  So I put in 64 Meg RAM, 2 gig hard
drive and a CD-ROM.  Last night I tried the "Command option o f" sequence
to get to the Open Firmware 2.x (I didn't pay attention to what x was).
Then I tried the "boot hd:0,yaboot" on it, but it errors out, so I tried
1,2,3,4,5, which errors out as well.  For YDL, I'' have to check, because
I can't remember what version it was.  I think it's about 6 months old
since I down loaded it.  The machine never came with a mac-os, since the
hard drive was from a PC architecture.  I thought that when I installed
YDL, I choose yaboot for the 1st partition, / for the second partition,
and swap for the 3rd partition.  The tests I've run above seem to me that
yaboot didn't get loaded.  Also, the system doesn't have a floppy drive,
only a CD-ROM.
--Glen

Tim & Alethea Larson <thelarsons3 at cox.net>
Sent by: olug-bounces at olug.org
03/25/2004 06:03 PM
Please respond to
Omaha Linux User Group <olug at olug.org>

Omaha Linux User Group <olug at olug.org>
cc

Subject
Re: [olug] LINUX on PPC : booting after installation

gvanmill at unmc.edu wrote:

>Hi, I'm trying to get the G3 to boot after installing  Yellow dog linux.
>All I get is the alternating folder / face icon.  What's wrong.

More details about your system, please.  Which model (and which MacOS if
it's OldWorld), how much RAM, YDL version, boot method (BootX or
yaboot), etc.

Tim

--
Tim & Alethea